top of page
Miami Immigration Attorney
Alex Barak Immigration Attorne


Law Offices Of Alex T. Barak, P.A.

Delivering Results For
Immigrants Since 1981

Call for a free telephone case evaluation!

Canadians, enjoy warm Florida winters with a work visa or green card. Make the move you may have dreamed of.

Immigration Attorney Miami, Florida

With a work visa or green card, you can still visit your majestic Lake Louise

You need an experienced immigration attorney to assess your needs and eligibility, as well as selecting a category that is a good fit for you and your family. There are numerous work visas and green card categories to select from and some basic information is available here.

Immigration Lawyer Miami
TBR-Badge-trans-background 2022.png

Handpicked top 3 best immigration lawyers in Hollywood, Florida.
50-Point Inspection includes...

…customer, reviews, history, complaints, ratings, satisfaction, trust, cost, and their general excellence.
You deserve the best!


Through L-1 or by direct application, once there is a foreign company and a U.S. subsidiary with a sufficient number of full-time salaried employees, this wonderful category can deliver outstanding results.


$900K OR $1.8M Investors, Green cards through passive or active investments Benefit the U.S. economy by providing goods or services to U.S. markets.


The E-2 visa is for you. Purchase or start a new business and receive a five-year work visa, with unlimited extensions.

U.S. Embassy officials love investors like you.

Many Canadians seeking an E-2 visa will be interviewed at the U.S. Consulate General in Toronto.

  • Spouses, marriage cases

  • Parents, filed by children 21 or older

  • Children, filed by U.S. citizen or green card-holding parents

  • Fiancés, filed  by U.S. citizen

Law Offices of Alex T. Barak, P.A.

Grand Central Terminal, New York
Immigration Attorney Miami, Florida
  • Business, Investment-Based Immigration,
    green cards and work visas

  • Import-export work visas

  • Multinational company transfers, work visas, and green cards

  • NAFTA TN professionals, work visa

  • Family-based green cards


  • Thirty-eight years of experience in Immigration law

  • Personalized legal work from the attorney himself

  • Fast service

  • Special attention to details

  • The Attorney is a professional level writer

  • Free Phone Consultation

  • Appointment Flexibility

  • Caring, Dedicated Service

In addition to the broad range of Immigration services, Alex T. Barak also provides legal services regarding business formation, business contracts, and leases, business purchases, commercial litigation,  project finance, personal injury, insurance claim cases.

You should have a well-rounded attorney who is versatile and experienced in all these fields for one-stop shopping. Should you have a need for legal representation in areas other than those dealing with Immigration, Mr. Barak is a good person to contact. If he cannot help you for a particular legal need, he will refer you to a proven successful, very experienced, and honest fellow attorney whom he knows. Contact, Alex T. Barak today.


Alex Barak’s Knowledge, 40 Years of Experience, and Detailed Attention to your Case will bring you success.

  Summary of Immigration Categories


To apply for a work visa, a Canadian citizen needs a job offer from a U.S. employer who can sponsor/petition for the employee, such as a NAFTA TN professional visa or an H-1B visa, known as the specialty occupation or university graduate visa. In certain situations, the employer can be  a new company set up by the Canadian, such as an E-1 “export to Canada trading visa,”  E-2 investor visa, L-1 visa,  “manager transfer to new U.S. subsidiary, or newly purchased U.S. company.”  There are several categories of work visas that Canadians can use, depending on the individual circumstances of employment. Many categories for Canadians have a  fast service not available to citizens of other countries.
See full article on E-2 visaE-1 visaL-1 visa.


Marriages between Canadians and U.S. citizens are quite common.  A Canadian marrying a U.S. citizen in a bona fide marriage is entitled to a green card, also known as permanent residency, although if married less than two years, at first one obtains a two-year green card; then before the expiration of the two-year card, an application for the permanent one must be filed.


Green cards allow foreign citizens to work and live in the U.S. as long as the person resides here over 50% of all days each year. The green card holder, also known as a Lawful Permanent Resident,   cannot vote or serve in a jury. Canadian citizens can get a green card through any of the four primary methods:

  • Employment;

  • Marriage

  • Family relationships; and

  • Investment in a U.S. business.

A Canadian citizen must have a sponsor/petitioner, a U.S. family member or employer, in order to receive a green card in most cases. Persons at the very top of their fields, of extraordinary talent in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, may be able to petition for a green card themselves, known as a “self-petition.”


Canadians may invest in a start-up U.S. company in exchange for an E-1 export trader visa, the E-2 investment visa, or L-1 visa, where a manager from Canada is transferred to a U.S subsidiary, new or existing. For green cards, there is the EB-1 multinational manager and the EB-5 green card, the latter of which requires, at the present time, either a 500K or $1M investment, and 10 or more American workers are hired as a result thereof.
See full article on 
E-2 visaE-1 visaL-1 visa.


Canadian citizens are permitted to visit the U.S. for up to six months in any twelve-month period. No entry may exceed 180 days. A B-2 status is for visiting family and friends, coming for vacation, seeking medical treatment, and certain other situations. B-1 visas are for those coming to the U.S. for business purposes, such as to consult with associates, attend a convention or seminar, negotiate a contract, or settle an estate. Athletes competing for prize money can come under B-1 status. 


Many students come from Canada every year for a university or graduate education in the U.S. Most students enter on an F visa, though sometimes also with M or J visas.


To obtain U.S. citizenship, called the naturalization process, an applicant must first have a green card. A green card holder can apply for U.S. citizenship either three years after becoming a permanent resident by marriage or five years after through all other means. A person granted asylum, then a green card gets a one year period of residency dated to one year before he/she is approved for said green card. 

The continuous residence requirement means that applicants must be physically present in the U.S. over 50% of the year and have no absence of six months or more. Not paying taxes, owing taxes, owing child support or alimony, or any criminal arrest can prevent approval of citizenship. Certain criminal cases, including non-traffic misdemeanors, can cause a green card holder to not only be denied citizenship but to lose his/her green card and be deported to their home country. The citizenship test, involving questions about U.S history, civics, and geography, as well as reading out loud one presented sentence and writing one sentence, is fairly easy to pass.

Once granted naturalization, or U.S citizenship, the applicant can then obtain a U.S passport from a different government agency known as the U.S Passport Agency, a division of the U.S. Department of State.


Get in touch

Contact an experienced Immigration attorney, Alex T. Barak can help you today.


The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.

bottom of page